- How Much Me Time is Enough?Posted 3 months ago
- How to Get Back Into Winter RunningPosted 3 months ago
- Amazon Prime: A Review – To Member or Not to MemberPosted 2 years ago
- Living The Bonus Round: Is This Having It All?Posted 2 years ago
- McDonald’s Salad Society Deliver’sPosted 2 years ago
- Berlin on a BudgetPosted 2 years ago
- Berlin Bound!Posted 2 years ago
- How To Stain Wood: A DIY Desk from Canadian TirePosted 2 years ago
- What You Really Need For Baby: A Minimalist GuidePosted 3 years ago
- Renovations in Toronto: It Begins – Part 1Posted 3 years ago
Finding Accountability in Balance
Or those who are still here. It’s nice to see you. I hope you had a nice holiday and are now back into the swing of things. It took me a bit-but I’m getting there. I think I’m here now.
I guest lectured at Schulich the other day on Managing Your Personal Brand. To say I was excited was an understatement. I was thrilled!
My degree is in costume design yet I run the Canadian Division of a company. I’ve never taken a business class in my life. So guest lecturing at one of these classes where I could say:
Look! You don’t need to follow a straight path! Life is great if you grab the chances it gives you!
…was always high on my bucket list.
Of course-in putting together the lecture materials, I realized my brand had waned- significantly. In 2016 as I got back to work (the first time being a working mom) I had an incredibly hard time sorting out what should and should not go online. How much of my work challenges should I share? How much of my family challenges?
So I did what I do and went dark. I would post every now and again but ultimately, I went pretty dark as I sorted out who this new person was online.
Unlike my friend Casey Palmer who does a fantastic job of sharing his growth journey, I do not. But like everyone, I’m only a work in progress and am ultimately trying to get better.
In trying to be the best version of myself I did a little exercise. I actually charted out how much time I currently spend doing things during the week and how much time I would like to spend. We all claim we’re soooo busy…I know I do it. But there has to be some place of accountability.
So I figured if I slept 7 hours every night, that leaves my 119 active hours a week. I work about 55 a week, mom about 32 of those, and try and work out for an hour a day-that leaves me with 25 hours a week! I added in what I want to achieve, built myself a little pie chart and pinned it above my computer so I can see it daily. (I’m not an artist as you can plainly tell)
My goal in all of this is to remind myself to not only address the other parts of my life but also, document them here. There’s alot going on and frankly-there’s a alot to talk about. Seeing my pie chart I realized I am not a one dimensional working mom. I have lots of other things to share and now that I know what they are – I can circle back with you here.
A few things on my list this year?
- Run a 10K
- Maintain regular manicures
- Kick the @#$% out of my job
- Maintain a 3 times a week + exercise habit
- Get back to dates with the hubs
As you can see, some are big and some are small but all are important and achievable, if I just have a little accountability.