- How Much Me Time is Enough?Posted 3 months ago
- How to Get Back Into Winter RunningPosted 3 months ago
- Amazon Prime: A Review – To Member or Not to MemberPosted 2 years ago
- Living The Bonus Round: Is This Having It All?Posted 2 years ago
- McDonald’s Salad Society Deliver’sPosted 2 years ago
- Berlin on a BudgetPosted 2 years ago
- Berlin Bound!Posted 2 years ago
- How To Stain Wood: A DIY Desk from Canadian TirePosted 2 years ago
- What You Really Need For Baby: A Minimalist GuidePosted 3 years ago
- Renovations in Toronto: It Begins – Part 1Posted 3 years ago
Transitioning Back to Work After Maternity Leave
A few weeks ago I started a new job so you’ll have to forgive me for being absent the last 2 weeks.
When I first went on mat leave, I had every intention of going back to work. Then I had my kid, did some freelance and decided I should try my own hand. As fate would have it, an offer came to me that I couldn’t refuse and low and behold, I’m writing this from an airplane in the sky.
So how does one cope with being a working mom, trying to stay on a budget and still trying to manage the house?
Firstly, Savvy sidekick is incredibly supportive. Secondly, we hired a nanny. The cost of daycare is astronomical in Toronto and the cost of a nanny wasn’t too far off. So in order to be able to travel, work, and not have a hard stop to my day for drop off and pick up at daycare, we went the nanny route. Likewise, a nanny can help us with grocery shopping, light cleaning, and other tasks in a home that just tend to build up.
House check. Baby check. Mom’s guilt…still there. Why? Well apparently we’re wired to feel guilty. A recent study indicated that mothers guilt stems from cave man days where if you were not with your baby, it meant they might be in danger. After all, cave man daycares and nannies weren’t really a thingJ So knowing the guilt is at least expected, how do you manage it? I have to say our nanny is wonderful and knowing my boy is in good hands when I leave makes the transition much easier.
Regarding our budget…that’s another story. As things have been so chaotic with the reno and transitions we haven’t been paying much attention to our finances. Luckily they’re not out of a hand but a detailed conversation will be happening soon about where our money is going and how much we should be spending
So that’s why I haven’t posted for a while. Just getting acclimated to a new life. We also had our tenants move back in this weekend so we had to finish our apartment…while we were both still working and managing a baby.
More on that later…